I can honestly say that I have tried many many diets, which is really a main reason I have started my company Kijia. I know the damage diets can do to your self esteem, your confidence and your body.
The dieting industry is huge and it promises so much. From shakes to counting calories, counting carbs, counting fat, cutting out entire food groups, supplements to eating at certain times to not eating. This industry tells you that if you do “this thing” then you will be happy, thin, and life will be great.
What it doesn’t tell you is that it’s all short term. If you can follow it, and it happens to not make you crazy or too mean or too tired or too hungry, then it will end.
Dieting is short term.
And when the diet ends, you are left to figure out what to do, how to be and where to go next.
5 Things Yo-Yo Dieting Does:
1. Yo-yo dieting makes you more resistant to weight loss and more prone to weight gain.
2. You are more likely to regain more weight than before the diet. In a long term study done at UCLA, researchers found participants in 31 long term dieting studies were 33%-66% regained more weight than when they started the diet.
3. Yo-yo dieting causes binge eating because the survival part of your brain kicks in when your willpower goes down and causes you to overeat to protect yourself.
4. You are more likely to have a pessimistic view of getting healthy after yo-yo dieting.
5. Yo-yo diets end leaving you left to figure out what to do next, which often results in going back to old ways and regaining weight.
What To Do Instead:
Take consistent action over time.
This is the answer to long term weight loss and sustainability.
It sounds simple, and it is. But simple is not the same as easy.
When you commit to yourself and take consistent action over time you will see results.
You will shed weight.
You will gain energy and confidence and freedom from the roller coaster!
If you knew something would work, why not try it?
Credit: Ali Hively; Fitness instructor here at The Wembley Club, and owner/founder of Kijia Living!
Wembley’s Club Coordinator. Passionate about pickleball, tennis, horses, fitness, along with many other things! Loves working for the club, and seeing the growth! Go Cavs!